13 August, 2017
Dear AIS West Secondary School Family,
To all families who will be joining us for the first time, Marhaba! To all who are returning, Welcome Back! The Secondary School Team and I are very much looking forward to a positive, productive and wonderful school year. We are committed to communicating very clear expectations, guidelines and procedures that will help us all collaborate for our mutual success.
As part of that communication process I just want to clearly explain the dates, times, guidelines and procedures for New Student Orientation, Open House and the first days of school:
New Student Orientation (Tuesday, 29 August, 2017) -
- We will start at 12:00 pm – new grade 6-12 students, only - NHS and NJHS students will introduce new students to AISE West. Students are to meet in the 3rd floor Secondary School Office area.
Open House (Wednesday, 30 August, 2017) -
- We will start at 12:00 pm sharp, in the Auditorium. Parents (students [grades 6-12] are also welcome) and Teachers will meet in the Auditorium.
- I will make some welcome remarks and teachers will identify themselves so parents know who is who.
- I will cover Secondary School expectations and tips for planning for success;
- Students will receive their schedules on Day 1 of school, Tuesday, 5 September, 2017.
EID AL ADHA HOLIDAY (31 August-4 September, 2017) –– No School
First Day of School (Tuesday, 5 September, 2017) –student attendance tracking begins.
First Days of School (05-07 September, 2017) -
- Students will go to the Field and line-up by grade-level for the flag salute – students must be on campus by 7:50 a.m. to not be counted tardy.
- Students will proceed to Home Groups, as posted on boards in the foyer, on the 3rd floor and on the 4th floor. They will receive their schedules and lockers in their Home Group classes.
- Students are not allowed to be out of class without a written pass. Parents are not allowed to be in the hallways.
- Schedule changes will be handled by the Counselors. Ms. Guillen will handle all grade 9-12; Ms. Sherri will handle grades 6-8.
- Here is some background information on how our schedule works (this includes the first days of school as well as the remainder of the year). The Secondary schedule follows a rotating block timetable. Students attend 4 blocks each day. On Tuesday, students will attend periods 1, 2, 3, and 4. On Wednesday, students will attend periods 5, 6, 7, and 1. On Thursday, the 7th of September, students will attend periods 2, 3, 4, and 5. The following Sunday, the first class will be period 6. The schedule will continue to rotate throughout the first semester.
Uniform/Dress Code -
- Please be informed that the existing uniform and dress code will be enforced. PE Shirts and Sweatpants are only for PE. Sweatpants are not acceptable regulation uniform pants. Please see the family handbook for guidelines. Even though sweatpants are not specifically excluded, they are not what we sell as "regulation pants"... therefore, any pants that are not supplied by the school must be almost the same as the ones we sell (Dockers, Old Navy, etc.
- We are also requiring that student footwear be closed-toe and closed-heel. No Crocs, sandals or slippers. Acceptable footwear includes athletic shoes, loafers, or flats.
- The Family Handbook clearly outlines the expected school dress code: "All AIS WEST students are expected to be properly groomed for school and to wear the school uniform daily unless otherwise announced by the Administration. The school uniform consists of regulation or solid navy blue non-faded pants (with no elastic around the bottom of the legs), regulation or solid blue shorts, or non-faded regulation skirt, and the regulation shirt. A regulation shirt is either one with a navy blue collar and the AIS logo, or an AIS sponsored event or organization t-shirt (MUN, NHS, NJHS, musical productions, etc.). Solid white t-shirts with the AIS logo prominently displayed on the front are considered PE uniform shirts and may be worn only at PE class. During cold weather, all sweaters or cover-ups should be regulation style and solid blue or white. The only insignia or logo allowed on cover-ups is the AIS logo.
- Students who are not dressed according to the dress code might not be permitted to attend class. These students will be given the opportunity to: remove the non-uniform item, borrow clothes from unclaimed lost and found items, have the appropriate uniform clothing sent to school, or purchase items from uniform shop (we will happily extend the student credit and bill their parents).
- Repeated violations of the dress code will result in a parent conference and possible suspension from school."
Please be aware that parking areas are limited in size. To help ensure that you are on-time it would be best to arrive at school by 11:45-11:50 as we will start promptly at 12:00 p.m. in the Auditorium. We look forward to seeing all students the first week of school! Information about upcoming Coffee Talks will be forthcoming.
Once again, I am excited about how great I think this year will be! I look forward to meeting each and every one of you!
Secondary School Principal